Step away from the chalk paint!

 Over the past decade or so, we've seen the emergence of the upcycling trend. In theory, this is something I advocate as a way of avoiding items being taken to the tip. Upcycling is a way of taking old, damaged furniture and returning it to use for pride of place in our homes. 

However, there is also a darker side to this and this is why I have to state: step away from the chalk paint! 

Don't get me wrong, I've dabbled in chalk paint. I found an orange pine unit from the 80's and painted it so it was more in fitting with our decor. I believe in doing so, we add not just longevity but value to the piece that is being upcycled. 

There seems to be a new trend of taking furniture that is in excellent condition and reduce it to a chalk paint disaster. The most recent examples are an Arts and Crafts bookcase painted in a "shabby-chic" white, a beautiful Victorian inlaid unit bastardised with grey paint and glitter and a Franco Albini rocking chair painted with garish pink paint.


I'm not going to hide the fact that I adore antique furniture and the pieces that I don't adore, I appreciate their value and the creativity that produced these pieces.

I'm also a big fan of natural wood. I think the grain tells a story and gives a depth that paint cannot.

When we are faced with pieces of this age, I believe that we act as custodians. Many of these pieces have survived world wars, they've crossed continents and stood pride of place in people's homes. The least we can do is to facilitate their continuation. 

We need to ask ourselves, with the work that has been carried out, will these pieces last another fifty or a hundred years? 

Before we pick up that paint brush, are we just following a trend or does the piece actually need repair? If it does need work, is it something that could be achieved with wax and a gentle sanding? 

Do you have any thoughts? Opinions? Comments?

Please let me know below.




Comments